Crater Lake Century
Even though it doesn’t look like it yet, we are hard at work on this event for the 2017 year! We are currently working on a new website and have pretty much spent most of our attention there. I apologize if I have not gotten back to you in a timely fashion in the recent past. I have also been busy starting my own new bike shop, Zach’s Bikes, in downtown Klamath Falls.
To address a couple of the common questions I’ve received:
We have filed for a permit for the event for this year. This was dropped in the mail so as to arrive at the park on January 2nd (the first day to apply).
The tentative date will be August 19th, but that is pending National Parks approval.
We will be opening registration as soon as I have the permit in hand. This is usually the end of February or the start of March but could be as late as April.
I do not have control over road construction on the rim. I do not know where it will be, how extensive, or what the conditions will be. What I do know is that there will be persistent road construction for the next five to ten years, they will try to minimize the amount of road torn up to less than a mile at any given time, and that I will find out where they will be within two days of the event. We are looking into trying to have more volunteers on hand this year to offer shuttles across anything that is too bad.
We are looking forward to the event this year as much as you are. Watch out for the new site designed by Jill over at Nestingwell Designs, it’s gorgeous.
The 12th Annual Crater Lake Century Ride will open registration for our event in one week on March 20th 2016 at 6:00 pm PDT. We are looking forward to seeing you and being a part of what we hope will be one of your greatest cycling experiences of your life!
It takes a lot of work to get ready for the Crater Lake Century, and it can’t happen without the generous help of our volunteers. This year we are recruiting approximately 50 volunteers in the following positions.
Pre-Event Volunteer Positions:
• Registration Team (6) – checks riders in Friday, Aug. 14th from 4- 7pm and Saturday, Aug. 15th from 6-8:30 am. Assembles rider information, bib numbers, bracelets, etc. before hand.
• Route Markers (2) – scouts route by bike or car two weeks before ride to assess safety issues. Places signage and marks hazards early Saturday morning before ride starts.
• Food Team (4) – organizes and prepares food and supplies for 300 riders. Emphasis will be on homemade food like roasted red potatoes, homemade cookies and maybe even a post ride dessert! Team will help assemble Sag Stop boxes. Event Day Volunteer Positions for Aug. 15th:
• Parking (2) – directs parking in an orderly manner. Shift 5:45-8:30 am. • Start & Finish Crew (8) – parcels riders out in groups of no more than 15, checks off bib numbers and gives a short safety talk. The finish crew welcomes riders home and tracks bib numbers so there is an accurate count of riders still on the course. Shifts 6-9 am, 9-1 pm, 1-4 pm, 4-7 pm.
• Sag Stops (20) – join us at one of our four rest stops, setting up tables, preparing and serving food and drinks. Shifts range from 3-5 hours starting at 7 am and ending at 6:30 pm.
• Clothing Bags/Dessert Servers (3) – shuttles bag drops from rest stops back to Fort Klamath and helps serve post ride dessert. Shifts 11-2 pm, 2-5 pm, 5-7 pm.
• Clean-Up (3) – help tear down tables, garbage pick-up, ??. Shift 5- 7:30 pm.
Please call or email Zach at 541-331-5247 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in helping!
The 2015 Crater Lake Century is sold out. Stay tuned though to our Facebook page and Twitter- we will post and send out a message if there is a cancellation and a slot opens up!
Visit our active.com at: http://www.active.com/chiloquin-or/cycling/races/crater-lake-century-2015?int=